The Siona Lodge is in the Cuyabeno nature reserve, deep in the primary forest of the Amazon Jungle. If you are looking for a big adventure this might be the right place for you. Some activities among others are: jungle trekking, bird watching, cayman watching, paddling indian canoes, visits to the Siona Community, lake swimming. Adventure, wildlife and fun guaranteed.
Itinerary 5 & 4 day:
Day 1 Reception at the airport in Lago Agrio and transfer to the Cuyabeno Bridge, the entrance of the Cuyabeno Nature Reserve. From there you move on by a motorized canoe for about 2 hours to get to the Siona Lodge at the Laguna Grande. If you are lucky you already can see monkeys, toucans, parrots, etc… but definitely the great vegetation of the Amazon rainforest. Upon arrival to the Siona Lodge the crew will welcome you. In the evening you can go on your first excursion to observe reptiles and amphibians, then dinner will be ready. Welcome Briefing.
Day 2 After breakfast, you head out to Puerto Bolivar, the center of the ethnic group of the Siona. On your trip by canoe down the river you can admire the fauna along the shore of the river Cuyabeno. In the community you will learn more about the customs and traditions and will have the opportunity watch the preparation of Casabe, a typical dish made of manioc -and can taste it as well! After that you will visit the shaman in his typical attire in his house and can watch a presentation of his healing rituals. In the afternoon you paddle with canoes in lake to look out for the wide variety of birds. After Dinner you go on a night trip to watch out for caimans.
Day 3 After breakfast you will hike into the jungle for about 3 to 5 hours and see the abundant flora, different eco-systems and medicine plants. After lunch you will do eco-fishing, which means catch and release fish, look out for pink dolphins around the lagoon and enjoy the sunset in the middle of the lagoon. As well you can go swimming in the lagoon.
At night you have a farewell dinner.
Day 4 You have to get up really early to do some birdwatching before breakfast, as this is the time when the birds are very active. You return to the lodge for having breakfast and packing up your things, then you go back to the bridge by canoe and then with car back to Lago Agrio. End of the tour. OR If you stay on for day 5 then a visit to Canangueno Lagoon for birdwatching by indian paddle canoe and another hike in the forest are the activities.
Day 5 You have to get up really early to do some birdwatching before breakfast, as this is the time when the birds are very active. You return to the lodge for having breakfast and packing up your things, then you go back to the bridge by canoe and then with car back to Lago Agrio. End of the tour.
Note: The itinerary is subject to change because of climate or suggestions of the guide. The observation of birds and animals in general depends on weather conditions.
- Meals from Lunch day 1 until lunch on day 4 or 5
- Tea / Coffee and Filtered Water
- Accommodation Double/Triple or Matrimonial cabin
- Transportation from Lago Agrio to Siona Lodge and back to Lago Agrio
- Bilingual Naturalist Guide
- Rain Poncho and Rubber boots
What’s Not Included:
- Transport from Quito to Lago Agrio and back – return flights approx. $190 US – bus is between $10 US – $15 US
- $3 US Contribution to Community Visit
- $3 US Contribution to Shaman Visit
- Alcoholic / Soft drinks
What to bring:
- Light Jacket / Raincoat
- Flash Lights (Preferable LED for the night walk and caiman spotting activities)
- Mosquito Repellent
- Water Bottle
- Long sleeved cotton shirts
- 2 or more Long trousers
- 2 or more ( not jeans ) Shorts, 2 or more ( quick drying material )
- T-shirts, 3 or more
- Cotton socks, a pair per day
- Comfortable walking shoes and sandals
- Toiletries ( biodegradable shampoo and soap )
- Binoculars ( optional )
- Original Passport & copy
- Zip-lock bags to keep clothes / equipment dry
- $360 US per person 4 days 3 nights
- $450 US per person 5 days 4 nights
4 days 3 nights, 5 days 4 nights