Napo Wildlife Center
Leave city life behind and escape to our eco-community for a life-changing experience. Covering nearly 2.5 million acres of lush Amazon rainforest, Ecuador’s Yasuní National Park is also a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
|Categories:||Amazon Yasuní, Amazon-Rainforest-Ecuador|
|Tags:||Amazon, Amazon rainforest, Ecuador, Yasuni|
The Napo Wildlife Center is the ultimate alternative luxury eco-hotel in Amazonian Ecuador. This ecotourism project includes the conservation of approximately over 82 square miles of the most pristine Amazon Rain Forest within the Yasunì National Park, the largest tract of tropical rain forest in Ecuador. Besides other attractions, you will also have the chance to visit the most accessible parrot and macaw clay licks in Ecuador.
Departing from Quito, Ecuador’s capital city, a 30-minutes flight over the eastern Andes will take you to the jungle town of Coca. There, members of our staff will be waiting for you to give you a warm welcome and take you to the Francisco de Orellana Port –which is only 5 minutes away from the airport. And here is where the real adventure begins! At the port, you will get on a motorized canoe downstream the Napo River, the major tributary of the Amazon Rainforest in Ecuador
. During the trip, you will have the chance to see different birds such as kingfishers, herons, and other and admire the incredible views of the Amazon jungle that opens before your eyes. A trip a box lunch will be provided.
After our two-hours ride along the Napo River, you will arrive at the NWC’s dock entrance where to take a short break to freshen up and use the restrooms. Then, we will continue our way to the lodge on paddle-canoes –motorized canoes are not allowed within the Napo territory. This majestic and peaceful dugout canoe ride a narrow stream will lead us to the Añangu Lake, where the hotel is.
Late in the afternoon, we will arrive to the Napo Wildlife Center where our staff will welcome you with drinks and show your rooms and other areas of the lodge.
Adventure at the Napo Wildlife Center begins early in the morning! In this second day at the premium Amazon Jungle tour, you will present one of the most incredible nature spectacles you will ever see: the parrot clay licks. It will only take us about an hour to get to the first parrot clay lick which is of easy access from the lodge. Once we get there, at about 7:30 or 8:30 am it will take just a few minutes for birds to show up. It is a real spectacle of colors, about 11 species of birds such as parrots, macaws, and parakeets visit the clay licks every day to feed with the minerals that are concentrated in the soil.
Later on, we will hike along the forest trail to visit the Kichwa Añangu community to share time with the men, women and children of the community and learning about their every-day-life activities, routines and their ancestral customs and traditions. Then, we will say goodbye to the families and continue our adventure Then, we will go back to the creek and go hiking for 30 minutes throughout a Terra Firme forest until reaching the second parrot clay lick and repeat the experience of seeing a great variety of parrots, parakeets and macaws as you eat a delicious lunch our staff will provide you.
Late in the afternoon, we will arrive back to the NWC to rest and enjoy from our lodge social areas and comfortable-luxury rooms.
A delicious breakfast will be served at the NWC restaurant early in the morning. After that, we will depart to the Canopy Observation Tower, a high platform from which you will get a close-up view of the most amazing views of the jungle. The tower is about 30 minutes from the lodge within the terra forme forest.
This wooden platform of 36 meters high was built just next to a huge and ancient Kapok tree. To get to the top you have to pass through different levels of the forest. Then, when you are finally there, the immensity and beauty of the Amazon jungle open just before you. There are not enough words to describe it, you have to live it yourself!
Birds that are just virtually impossible to see from the jungle floor will pass right through you. Flocks of vibrantly colored tanagers, blue-and-yellow macaws, and large toucans fly past in the early mornings and afternoons.
In the afternoon, after having lunch back in the Napo Wildlife Center, we will go deep into a terra firme trail to discover the beautiful and mysterious wildlife that hides in the forest interior. There are great possibilities to see lizards, different species of monkeys such as the endemic Golden Mantle Tamarin monkey, rare and unique insects and even some scary snakes! Also, we will take you to explore the black water Añangu Lake and streams that are home of different species of fish and mammals such as the Giant Otter, a unique specie from the Amazon.
Last day, we will depart after an early breakfast to go back to Coca city and repeat the adventure to go out the way you came, a ride on a paddle-canoe to the docking area and then embarking on a motorize canoe to the jungle town.
During this last excursion the creek may reveal new sights of rare bird species and monkeys and a Giant Otter will possibly show up to good-bye you!
Itinerary 5 days / 4 nights:
Additional day(s): optional excursions such as hikes through different trails and forest types. Canoe rides exploring deeper areas of surrounding creeks with more wildlife possibilities, additional mammal clay lick excursion, handicraft workshop with the local community among other options.
- All meals from lunch day 1 until breakfast last day
- Filtered water
- River transportation
- All excursions including Añangu Kichwa Community, and visits to the exclusive NWC´s parrot-macaw clay licks
- Entry Fee to Yasuni National Park
- Rain poncho
- Rubber boots
- International or domestic airfares
- Airport departure taxes
- Visa fees
- Excess baggage charges
- Additional nights during the trip due to flight cancellations
- Alcoholic beverages or bottled water
- Insurance of any kind,
- Phone calls or messages
- Reconfirmation of flights and items of personal nature.
- Good binoculars for wildlife viewing (an absolute necessity). We suggest that each visitor carry their own binoculars.
- Camera/video gear (if using film, lower ASA for open areas (50 or 100), higher ASA for forest (400 and up). [24-hour electricity (120v) is available for charging batteries and digital equipment.)
- Two or three pairs of lightweight long pants.
- Two or three long-sleeved lightweight shirts.
- Two or three T-shirts.
- One or two pairs of shorts (mostly for around the lodge).
- Lightweight sweater or jacket.
- Raingear (if you prefer not to use the ponchos provided).
- Three or four pairs of cotton socks.
- Sandals (Teva type or similar for around the lodge).
- Three or four pairs of absorbent socks.
- Small day pack for excursions.
- A bottle or canteen to carry water on hike (1-quart size is sufficient).
- Ziplock-type plastic bags to cover optics or other gear.
- Insect repellent (Skin-so-soft or DEET product with at least 20% concentration).
- Flashlight or headlamp is bright enough for use on night walks.
- Small, packable umbrella (can be useful in light rain – very useful!).
- A hat for sun protection (and that will stay on during windy boat rides).
- Sunscreen lotion with a high SPF rating.
- Personal toiletries and medications (carry medications with you when arriving and leaving the lodge).
- Extra batteries/film/video tapes as appropriate.
- A photocopy of your passport (always good to have while traveling).
- Money (in small US$ bills – ones and fives and coins) for bar bills and Artesania purchases.
- We recommend using rechargeable batteries in your visit to the lodge so that you need not dispose of used batteries, thus contributing to the quality of our environment.
Cabanas based on double occupancy including flights
- 4 days / 3 nights $1417 US per person
- 5 days / 4 nights $1690 US per person
Suites based on double occupancy Including flights
- 4 days / 3 nights $1638 US per person
- 5 days / 4 nights $1979 US per person
Ask us about 6, 7 and 8 day programs and single occupancy.
With so much to offer and the diversity to keep you busy for a lifetime, we are providing an itinerary that packs a punch. From the highlands to the lowlands, reaching almost 5,000 meters and dropping below 3,000 m. Imagine everything that is possible in-between. Lush forest, rich cultures and open & vast landscapes, snow cap volcanoes & pushing those edges of the phenomenal world. It all begins in the capital city Quito, Ecuador.
History, Mystery & Soundscape your life 🙂 Amplify those Andes mountain ranges, rich in culture and include the Quilotoa Laguna Crater visit. Drive through the famous avenue of volcanoes through an ancient landscape to get to one of Ecuadors most prominent destinations. Cotopaxi National Park will leave you awestruck.