Cotopaxi National Park (Spanish: Parque Nacional Cotopaxi) is a protected area in Ecuador situated in the Cotopaxi Province, Napo Province and Pichincha Province, roughly 50 km south of Quito. Trek one of the highest active volcanoes in the world with 5897 m!
Due to its perfectly symmetrical cone, covered in a thick blanket of snow and ice, the Cotopaxi is one of the tourist highlights in Ecuador and it’s most visited and climbed volcano.The Cotopaxi National Park is situated in a beautiful paramo plateau, where wild horses graze on the extensive plains at the foot of the volcano or gather to drink at the lovely Limpiopungo lagoon, which reflects the white peaks of nearby Volcan Rumiñahui and makes a great spot for watching waterfowl and other birds. Walking in the National Park, you will notice pumice, ash, stone and other volcanic debris amid the tiny páramos plants. On a day trip to the Cotopaxi National Park it is possible to drive as high as 4500m, then trek up a sandy scree slope to reach the snout of the glacier at 5000m.
Prepare to hike, bike and smile. Trekking for all ages but biking must be experienced or confident with downhill biking.
- 06:30 Meet at meeting point for breakfast, CarpeDM Office
- 07:00 Transfer to the Cotopaxi National Park
- 09:30 Enter Cotopaxi National Park
- 10:00 The guide will give explanation of the area, volcanoes, vegetation, animals etc.
- 10:30 Limpiapungo Lake, begin hike up Rumiñahui
- 12:30 Reach view point at 4.200m. return to parking lot
- 13:00 Equipment Check – Begin Bike ride back to the entrance of the national park
- 14:00 Arrive at Control Caspi via bike.
- 15:00 Eat lunch
- 15:30 Return to Quito
- Breakfast – Lunch – snack
- Mountain Bike with Helmut, Kneepads, Elbowpads * This is an optional activity of approximately 30 minutes. Should be experienced / confident rider.
What’s Not Included:
- Additional Snacks / Beverages
What to bring:
- Warm clothing
- Waterproof jacket
- Gloves, scarf, hat
- Hiking boots or trekking shoes
- Extra snacks and water
- $50 per person with minimum 4 people
- Private tour is also possible at a price of $95 per person (2 people minimum)